A Short story: Part 3

Fear gripped her heart, her breath hitched. The window wide open let the cool breeze in yet again that night. The soft drapes danced to the wind.

Someone must have broken in, there can be no other explanation! Her senses were now on high alert. But yet again, all that surrounded her was silence and undisturbed peace. She looked towards the door of the bedroom; closed, just as it had been when she went to sleep. There was not a thing out of place, no evidence of a break in, no one had been there apart from her.

'Maybe they are too good' she thought. Walking with the softest steps, she made her way to the door, opening it slightly to peek into the hallway. Untouched. Grabbing a fire iron from her room, she explored the rest of the house; not a sign of any invasion. There was nothing out of place, nothing missing.

Nothing made sense. She walked around the house multiple times hoping to find some sign that she was not losing her mind. But nothing was working in her favour.

"Just what is going on!" she said softly into the empty house, tears blurring her vision. After all that she had been going through, why was this happening to her?

Walking back to the bedroom, she made her way to the window. Leaning her hand on her table, she glanced out. The dawn was breaking, and oh what a beautiful sight it was. Her breath caught as she saw the view; it was a sunrise unlike anything she had ever seen before! The dark shades of the night blended into purples and blues and slowly bleed into orange right before her eyes.

She was losing herself in the view with every passing minute, and just then, there was a knock on the door.

It pulled her out of her trance and made her way cautiously towards the door.

"Package for you ma'am, please sign here." It was the mailman.

Taking the tiny brown cover in her hand, she shut the door and headed to her desk. It felt as though the cover barely contained anything.

Ripping the edge carefully, she emptied the contents onto the table; A letter and a ring.

The night and now the following day were all aiming at stopping her heart every few hours, and this time it was the ring. It was all too familiar, it was their wedding band!

Her hands shook as she picked it up to make sure. It was a silver band with a single stone in the centre. The inside had an inscription of his initials.

"No! Who sent this! Who?! Why is it here?" she began yelling, breaking the silence.

Hurriedly she picked up the letter and began reading. It was addressed to her.

 

To the light and love of my life,

I really would have wanted to begin this with something funny. But now isn't the time. And I know very well how much you hate it when I try to cover my feelings with my terrible jokes. So, I will be honest with you.

I am scared. We are surrounded and the other side is advancing really well. I wish I could stop my heart racing. But what we need right now is courage. And I am getting mine by just thinking of you.

You would have loved the view we have. I saw the most spectacular sunrise ever. It was nothing like I had ever seen before and darling I wish we could see that together, hand in hand. The sky was just, magnificent. And it gave me courage, that I am here to protect the ones I love, so that you can wake up everyday and see spectacular sunrises and sunsets and live a beautiful life.

I do not know what the future will be, but it does look rather bleak from here, I will not lie. So here's me, telling you, please live.

Live everyday to your fullest, live every moment well. I know it'll be hard. But I need you to be brave my love, just like that woman who entranced me all those years ago with her unbreakable spirit. I know you. You are a remarkable woman. You will do well no matter what life puts your through. Remember that I too, am doing what I love, and I want you to do the same. Do not hold back. Life is very very unfair. That is a fact. I know you agree to that more than me.

I do not know what to say. I love you so much and knowing that any of the effort I put here will ensure your safety is enough to drive fear out of my heart. Every moment we spent, from the first moment we met, were glorious. I am glad I could have a partner like you in my life, all the joy and pain and struggles, were better with you next to me. I must have done something great in some life!

This is farewell love. It would be a miracle if I see tomorrow's sunrise, by the time this reaches you, I am probably gone. But please know that I have no regrets. None.

I love you. And I hope my love fits into this letter and the package! Be brave, be strong, live well.

Just live.

Your SSS

(Significantly silly soulmate)

 

Tears were unstoppable as they streamed down her face. As she reached the end of the letter, her body shook with every sob. The letter was soaking her tears as fast as they fell. She gasped and wiped the wetness off the paper and held it to her chest.

"Is that why you woke me up? Was that you? You wanted to see the dawn with me? I saw it. I saw it, you woke me. I saw it with you!" she spoke looking out the window.

Crumbling onto the floor, she grabbed the ring putting it on her finger, just above her own ring. Her fingers ran over the it again and again, tracing every intricate pattern.

Seconds turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours and she sat there still, reading the letter over and over.

A part of her knew it was a possibility that he may not return, but watching your worst nightmares come true leaves, expected, but very deep scars.

The proud and joyous crowd gathered at the square. Flags were flowing in every direction the eye could, chants were getting louder, and the people were uniting as one to celebrate the victory of their nation. And she was already there, at the square, watching the celebration, as the returned soldiers were marching their way through the city; their victory march. She saw the same sight a few years ago, her eyes eagerly searching for one man in that crowd. But this time, she had eyes only for the memorial erected in memory of those lost.

She walked forward, a single daffodil in her hand, and placed it near his name.

"I will live, I promise." she said, as her fingers traced his name, a tear sliding down her face.

The crowd around her cheered louder as the soldiers came their way. She turned to watch, a smile gracing her face.

Comments

  1. 👏🏻👏🏻
    Superb story, loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Enjoyed the verses. May your dreams come true. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment