A Short story: Part 2

 It was a warm spring morning, the kind of morning that seems perfect for a day outdoors. Her peach coloured dress fluttered in the breeze as she walked towards the park bench.

He was late, much unlike a man whose work engraves discipline into their lives. She sat in silence, looking around the park, shifting her gaze between the families and couples here and there scattered. She occasionally glanced at the sleek watch on her wrist, getting anxious by each passing minute.

“Ah there you are!” voiced a man jogging towards her. A beaming smile stretched across his face.

“Of course I am here! Where would I be? You said 10 and I have been here since!” she said while rising from the bench to walk towards the approaching man.

“Forgive me for keeping you waiting, my dear. It was really hard to find my way to you.” He apologized as he took her hand in hers tenderly and walked towards the same bench.

“Whatever do you mean by that? We come here all the time.” She shook her head. He only smiled at her replies.

“Anyway, what was the so very important thing you wanted to tell, for which I waited here for so long. You would be coming home in the evening anyway. All this is wrecking my poor nerves in worry. What is it?” she spoke, worry clearly etched on her face. The last time they had such urgent news, it only resulted in his departure. She was unwilling to hear any such information again.

“It is time, again.”

“No. Oh no this isn’t real. Please tell me this is not what you mean. You have only just returned!” She pleaded.

“My dear, I must go. Orders have arrived. It is my duty.” He clasped her hand tighter, engulfing it completely in his large hands.

She looked down at their entwined hands, tears blurring her vision.

“I wanted to spend as much of my remaining time with you, and so I called you here, our favourite place. I couldn’t wait to get home to see you.”

“When do you leave?” she asked, still looking down.

“Tomorrow.” He held her chin gently and lifted her head up. “It won’t be long.” He smiled at her.

“Where will you go?” she questioned again.

“Much farther than I did previously.”

Tears spilled onto her face. It was too soon for something like this again.

He pulled her into his arms and said, “I need you to brave, my love. Brave like you have always been. Your tears will weaken me. I cannot leave if you break. You have to be strong. No matter what the world puts you through, no matter how hard it gets. And I know you will. I know who you are; you are a remarkable woman.”

She sobbed harder into his chest, holding him close to her. After a few minutes, she pulled away, wiping her face with the handkerchief he handed to her.

“Such a gentleman.” She spoke in a croaked voice.

“I always am.” He winked at her. “I have faith in you to keep sane through it all. Remember, whatever I do, I do to protect the ones I love. Promise me you will not let my efforts there go waste here.”

“I promise.” Her lips quivered.

He gave her his most charming smile, receiving a smack on the shoulder in return.

“I love you. I am always going to be taking care of you. No matter where I am.”


Her eyes flew open. She turned to the spot next to her on the bed, it was still empty. He hadn’t come back.

She sat up in the bed, putting her head in her hands. It was a dream.

“It felt so real…” she chuckled sadly into the silent room.

Cold breeze made her skin pucker. Her eyes shot towards the darned window. It was open, breeze flowing in with not a care in the world.

Comments

Post a Comment