A Sunday Morning Realisation


Has it ever happened to you? You would be looking at some pictures of yourself, maybe the old school hard copy of the pictures or on your phone or your computer, and suddenly you realise that the person in those pictures is you! You! The one who is looking at the pictures now is the same person who is in the picture.

No? Never happened? Is it just me? I think not. Try doing it once; take out an old album and look at yourself. I am sure you would have felt it at least once.

What is the meaning of it? I look at myself knowing very well what I am looking at and yet it takes me second or two to get to the realization that, ‘Wait, that is me…’ Have I changed so much to the point that I am no longer the person who was in the picture, that it feels like a distant memory, a memory from a different life? Maybe. We all are so many people inside one body. Is it just one life that we live, or do we live many lives in one lifetime? If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have said it is just one life. Probably because when we are at home and have a protected life, we have a different perspective towards life. Everything is sunny and bright with rainbows and joy, with occasional storms but you pass them with ease. But once you get out of home and you get to see the real world, you are on your own, even though you still aren’t fully detached from home. These initial stages of early adulthood manage to teach you a lot of things, especially for someone like me; I had to relearn everything I thought I knew about myself, the world and life. Alright, to be honest, while at home I didn’t often think the way I do now. Anyway, coming to the point, if you ask me now, is it one life or many lives, I will tell you its many lives.

Yes, there is the usual infancy to childhood to adolescent and adult. In the first two stages, we’re too little in this big world and we are too busy having fun. The third stage is where we question ourselves and try to understand and come to an acceptance of ‘this is just a phase, you’re not going to remain like this, relax.’ But as we step into the adult part, I think it’s the first time we relearn everything. It is like opening a new empty journal, start writing fresh with references from the past which, most of the times, do not come to use. And that is only the beginning. From then on, so many changes occur, so many times we learn and relearn and make mistakes and start again.

Every part of life requires us to be a different person. Circumstances sculpt you in various ways and harden your skin. You cannot remain the same and expect everything to go well. Change is mandatory. And what is happened is past and old. You are the present and new.

And maybe that is why we often do not recognize ourselves, maybe even when we see the mirror. But that’s okay, it means you’ve faced life truly and let it cast you into a new person. Just you know, in the end, you must keep moving forth.


Comments